Saturday, March 2, 2013

My Blog Crush - Clear and Simple Stamps Spread the Love Challenge


Wow, this week has been a crafting world wind! I'm back with a truly different challenge entry. I hope you can check it out and take part. Click here for more info! Ok, here's the skinny... one of my fav stamp companies Clear and Simple Stamps is hosting the Spread the Love campaign in conjunction with Amber at Damask Love (where you can link your project). I was challenged to highlight a blog I love, explain why and create a project with one of the challenge color schemes (I chose the one below) all in ode to my blog crush.

One winner will be chosen as Clear and Simple Stamps' blog crush and will be invited to be a guest designer for the Collection 7 release (meaning lots of great product for free and lots of exposure!! I am so SO excited about that!) All participants get a virtual swag bag too. It's all good and all fun! I chose the bold springtime blooms color scheme and several Clear and Simple Stamps products for my project. And here it is! I tried some new techniques with stamping and coloring and using twine - things I don't usually do in ode to my crush!



Who's my blog crush??????? Drum roll please......

My blog crush is Thoughts of a Cardmaking Scrapbooker!!!!! Michele Kovack does it all - she crafts, published her work in craft magazines, serves on craft design teams, is a loving mom and wife, works and blogs about it all - daily! I love her ability to be open, honest, humble, inspiring and I admire her work ethic and her amazing crafts. She always adds a little something extra (lots of glitter, LOL) and knows her unique craft style. She is doing everything I hope to do some day. So, this project is dedicated to you Michele Kovack!!! I hope you like it.




Here's a closer look at my project. I think crafting is a therapy Michele and I share!





If you can take classes with Clear and Simple Stamps for Copic instruction. They are wonderful. I learned a lot (but didn't practice). Now that I am getting the courage to color and put my work out there here's my crafty tip of the day. When working with Copics (I am new at it) make several impressions on the same paper you are using to try out colors and to make notes. Not all inks work with Copics and some will work only after you heat set it. I learned the hard way. I stamped in black, 2 shades of brown and then gray before choosing.  If your collection is not that large or is not set up in trios for blending, you'll need the practice before moving to the final.

I discovered using the hybrid ink from Clear and Simple Stamps works best. I liked the look of stamping and coloring in shades of brown. After I colored the skin and hair completely, I went over everything with E00 and it made it look better. I felt the areas I wanted differentiated and those I wanted blended all came together. By mistake or not, it' a good tip that I discovered. Try it (on your scratch paper first).



Supplies:
  • Pink bib card - The Paper Cut
  • Purple cardstock and metallic orange cardstock - DCWV
  • White cardstock - Bazzill Basics
  • Orange, purple, pink twine: American crafts
  • Flower embellishment - Jolee's Boutique
  • Embossing Folder: Sewing- Sizzix run through the Cuttlebug
  • Punch: Paper Shapers for Stampin' Up!
  • Ink - Espresso Your Style - Clear and Simple Stamps
  • Stamps: Crafting is my therapy from the Craft Room set, Carlie from Rag Doll Carlie:Hello set - Clear and Simple Stamps
  • Copics - Skin: E33, E00, Clothes: G02, RV09, Hair E37, E29, E00
 
La-Vie 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. I spy some great Copic tips in here - love the idea to test the varying color of inks before you move to the final. I also think many will love that you shared the colors you used for the skin tones in your photo - great resource. And how cute to have Rag Doll Carlie leaning on a few embossed sewing items - fun way to mix texture and color! Off to check out your blog crush.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicki!!!! Thanks for commenting so positively on my blog. I really enjoyed the contest and will definitely join in if you do it again! Love your products and the digital swag bag.

      La-Vie

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! I just got back home to check my computer, when I saw your sweet comment on my blog....and then more sweetness here! You just made my heart very happy! Thank you for your kind words! I adore your card! It is perfectly colored and I love the fun colors you chose!!! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I mean every word! I cannot believe you like my project. God bless you Michele. xxx

      La-Vie

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing... I need to get brave enough to try out using my brush pens with my stamps! Maybe when I get home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come 'on girl!! You can do it. If I can fumble through, you can do it too! It gets easier. I got some books with techniques from Amazon.com in addition to classes I took with Clear and Simple Stamps at CKC. I'd love to see what you create.

      La-Vie

      Delete
  4. YAY for Ragdolls! Don't you love those little guys? I love your Copic work and your take on the color challenge! Thanks for spreading the love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes YES!! I love those little guys! I just got some more. I am loving your FABULOUS blog! Look forward to participating in a similar challenge next time!

      La-Vie

      Delete

Your comments bring me SO much Joy! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and view my creations. If you love what you see, please share my posts and invite your friends to follow me as well! ~XXX La-Vie B.