Thursday, September 13, 2012

Hot Pink Zebra Print Diaper Cake... OH MY!!!



Since I have been more organized, I have been able to craft for hire (like I'm supposed to be... LOL). My first client in a while was a friend from high school that I reconnected with on Facebook. You've gotta love it! She threw a baby shower for her sister with a hot pink zebra print theme and hired me to completed several decor items for the blessed event. The first I will share with you is the 3-tier diaper cake I made. This is the second one I've ever made! Check out my first for comparison if you'd like. While both are special to me, I am especially fond of this one because it's girlie and much more functional. While my first cake was for decoration, this one was to be used on the baby so I had to discover a different way to create it. I love how it came out! Don't you?????


Here's another view of the diaper cake all dressed up and ready to go! I love that is has a headband, tulle skirt and 2 flowers (that can be used with or without the headband and skirt) for the baby.


 
I went to hobby lobby for the supplies on many different days. On this one day in particular, I happened upon a hot pink and zebra print diaper cake kit! I couldn't believe my eyes!!!
 
 
I was planning on making the same sorts of things (actually had the supplies in my basket) to adorn the cake. This was a much better option and now I can make it in any color after studying how easily it is made. There is tulle tied in knots on the bottom row of the adult-sized stretchy headband all the way around to make the skirt.
 

At target I found the perfect adornment for the top! A darling pair of baby booties! Even if these cannot be used (my kids had awesomely long feet at birth and cute newborn booties didn't fit) they are a great keepsake for the baby.


Ok, let's get down to construction! It took 100 diapers to make the cake. I learned how to construct this diaper cake online by watching a slideshow set to music by Diaper Cakes by Becca. (Note: this link has broken before so google it if it doesn't work.) It was a lifesaver! I plan to make all my diaper cakes like this because the rolled ones look less uniform and less professional in my eyes. Shout out to Becca for a great tutorial that anyone can follow. Here is my bottom layer and the hair conditioner tub (seen just behind the diaper cake) that I put in the middle to hold the shape as I layered the diapers.

I wanted it to be well supported (a fact I missed on my last cake) so I bought real 14" cake board from hobby lobby. I made the first layer of the cake first to make sure I had bought the right sized cake board. Then I covered the board in hot pink cardstock by paper studio.

In order to make sure there was nothing stuck to the diapers, Becca suggests using scrap ribbon to tightly secure the layers of the cake and then sticking the decorative ribbon to the scrap ribbon - brilliant!!


Here's the cake board covered with cardstock and all three layers adorned with almost 3 yards of flocked ribbon by ribbon boutique. I decided to carry through the pink by using my E2 Cricut Expression to cut circles at 10.5"  8" and 6" from the basic shapes that came loaded in the machine.


To complete the look I put the cake in a shrink wrap bag sized 30x30 to make sure no smells from cooking etc set into the diapers before delivery to the client. From what I hear, the shower divine and my crafts were a huge hit. I'm smiling from ear to ear.

Tune in next time for more hot pink zebra print crafts I made for this shower. Prepare to be amazed... LOL


La-Vie


10 comments:

  1. This is so adorable, La-Vie! Thanks for sharing!

    Merilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely and I agree looks much better than the rolled diapers. Thanks for the link to directions. I'm loving your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Sheree! Thanks for your kind comments. I am so happy you are loving me blog! Share it with your crafty friends please! I also have a facebook page and a pinterest account where I share the photos from this blog and other things. I'd love to see your diaper cake once its done! Take care.

      La-Vie

      Delete
  3. This is just adorable. I think you've found one of your niche's in life! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do the most work for babies. so I guess it is my niche. excited...

      La-Vie

      Delete
  4. ohhh I love this idea of the diaper cake an I craftlift this idea just beautiful girl just beautiful I just love all of your ideas great job...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scraplift away!! I'll send you a link to the YouTube I used to create the cake itself. Then embellishing is up to you! Thanks Meka!

      La-Vie

      Delete
  5. OMG !! I love it!! Greetings from Costa Rica!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pink zebra girlie diaper cake was so cute. I love your design much better than the rolled diapers. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments bring me SO much Joy! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and view my creations. If you love what you see, please share my posts and invite your friends to follow me as well! ~XXX La-Vie B.