Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hot Pink Zebra Print - Embellished Wooden Letters


My client wanted to have wooden letters that spelled the baby's name to decorate the gift table at the shower and subsequently to decorate the nursery. She originally asked for only 3 letters to be adorned and the rest to be blank. Even though this was my first time making this kind of project, I knew exactly what I wanted to do! Luckily I found these sturdy letters from Hobby Lobby to carry out my plan. These letters can be hung on the wall or stand independently on a flat surface.


To carry through the hot pink zebra print theme, I used glossy cardstock from Paper Studio Safari Untamed. I chose to cover the S and three As with the cardstock (every other letter). To acheive the look, I turned the cardstock over, half with the stripes going down and half with the stripes going across and traced the letters faced down (or else they wouldn't have matched when turned over) with a pen. I then used my fav new scissors by Tim holtz to cut out the shapes.

Using the wide teriffically tacky tape I adheared the cardstock to the letters. Trimming away the excess paper with an exact knife was the next step. Then, I filed the edges to make them smooth with tim holtz sanding tool and the We R Memory Keepers sweetheart distressing tool (for those hard to reach places). Applying a thin coat of Mod Podge to seal the edges worked wonders! Once they dried overnight  I began embellishing with ribbon, bling, brads and flowers.



One of my tried n true techniques when working on color-specific projects is to use my copic markers to color clear bling to match the project. Here I used bling borders cut and colored with a hot pink copic RV09 Fuschia to adorn the top of the M.

 
I used a 1" circle punch, black cardstock, a bling brad, and a flower embellishment by Paper Studio with more of the colored bling to create the beautiful R. My adhesive of choice is Zots from petite to Jumbo sized depending on the embellishment. This is a treasured keepsake for years to come for $65 (plus tax, shipping & handling) it cannot be beat!!
 
 
La-Vie

5 comments:

  1. These turned out really cute, La-Vie! You did a great job.

    Merilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merilee! You've become a part of my morning routine... I wonder what message Merilee has left me today??? You brighten my day. Thanks again for the compliments.

      La-Vie

      Delete
  2. These are simply LOVELY! I will be scraplifting. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much for stopping by and for leaving such a nice comment. I love the idea of you scraplifting from me (I always do it to the other people) it gives me a chuckle. One note, when I do this again, I will use the mod podge over the entire front of the letter. Going around the edges leaves a bit of a residue. It can only be seen if you are tilting the letters and examining them. I'd love to see your project when it's complete. Please do remember to share!

      La-Vie

      Delete
  3. I would like to purchase one DIVA STYLE for my daughter with CP. She will be celebrating her sweet 16 Dec 2015. We will be using the zebra theme. I need it to say Diva Princess Jacqueline Si'Mone. I will be glad to pay. The more bling the better!!! Please let me know the charge. You can email me at tracsplace@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments bring me SO much Joy! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and view my creations. If you love what you see, please share my posts and invite your friends to follow me as well! ~XXX La-Vie B.