Thursday, February 24, 2011

Newborn Onesies for Nephew Evan



I was inspired to make onesies for my newborn nephew Evan. It was a very trying experience as I have never tried this technique outside of the class at AC Moore where I learned the technique. It was supposed to be easy as 1-2-3 but it wasn't! When I finally got it right, the results were amazing! In the future, I hope to learn how to sew to hold down the design even more.
First, I purchased a cloth remnant from Hobby Lobby. I ironed it to a product called heat and bond. I applied the fused fabric to my cricut mat and cut out letters at 1" from cricut cartidge cuttin up and basic shapes at 2" from the cricut cartridge new arrival. I used my deep blade and lowered the speed with medium pressure. Once the images were cut, I took them off the mat and ironed the images to the shirt.
Tips & Tricks
  • The images and letters must be simple if not, the fabric will not cut properly
  • the mat must be new or VERY sticky - if not the fabric will move and the images will not cut properly
  • don't iron it too long or too short - the images will not stay on the shirt or the heat and bond will not stay on the fabric
  • use a piece of fabric at 12x12 size in case you need to repeat images. smaller pieces of fabric did not hold to the mat as well.
  • if you know how to sew, once the shirt has cooled, do a running stick with clear thread around all the design edges to anchor

La-Vie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments bring me SO much Joy! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and view my creations. If you love what you see, please share my posts and invite your friends to follow me as well! ~XXX La-Vie B.