Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Update and Repost - Embossing Folder Storage Nirvana!

First posted in February of 2013 - This question is a hot topic always. I thought I would re-post.

Please leave me your comments and questions below. How are you storing your folders? How are you cataloging them so you can find the right one for your projects easily?

I have long since outgrown the shoe boxes. I currently store mine in 2 large organizers from Close to My Heart (CTMH). I got them from my CTMH rep Cardmonkey Jarvis and I have linked to her site above. They are full and do not fit any of my border folders which are in a large zip lock bag on my cubby style bookshelf.

*********************************************************************************

You may be familiar with my first post about embossing folder storage. This is the long-awaited sequel!! Since my original post, I have collected many more folders from several companies and a new cartridge that makes this storage solution SO much easier. I'm so excited I thought I'd share the info.

To store my embossing folders I create a tabbed file folder that I emboss with the folder's design. It allows me to see the design embossed and debossed as well as find specific folders at a glance. Using the Cricut cartridge Fabulous Finds, pg 131, blackout - there is a middle tab and using shift you can access the right tab.



As my collection grew, I didn't notice the differences in sizes for the embossing folders from one company to another. Here's the low down...
  • Cuttlebug A2, The Paper Studio -  4.25" x 5.75"
  • Darice - 4.5" x 6.25"
  • Newer cuttlebug and Anna Griffin - 4.75" x 6"
  • Indentz - 4.75" x 6.75"
  • Sizzix (regular) and Tim Holtz - 4 7/8" x 6"
  • Sizzix - 4 7/8" x 6.75"
  • Cuttlebug - 5" x 7"
  • Anna Griffin - 5.5" x 7.5"
4.25" x 5.75" and 4.5" x 6.25"
4.75" x 6"  and 4 7/8" x 6"


4.75" x 6.75" and 4 7/8" x 6.75"


5"x7"


5.5" x 7.5"




When making the folders keep these tips in mind. You can create a left tab by folding the (right tab) folder the opposite way. If your cardstock is patterned, be sure to place the patterned side face down on the mat to make a left tab and face up to make a right tab. Use cardstock heavy enough to hold the embossing (paper or linen cardstock won't work) but not too thick that it won't fold down neatly. I used beige cardstock for my A2 folders because I had a lot of it and barely use it. You can also use cardstock from your purge box or ones with designs you do not prefer. As long as one side is both smooth and one solid color. The cardstock shouldn't even have a subtle design in the paper or the embossing will not come out as well. Cut in the direction of the grain of the paper of you will experience a lot of cracking in the embossed design.

I used the E2 Cricut to cut the folders. REAL DIAL SIZE ON! Here's the sizes:




  • Cuttlebug A2, The Paper Studio, Darice  -  6.50
  • Newer cuttlebug, Anna Griffin, Sizzix (regular) and Tim Holtz - 6.75
  • Indentz, Sizzix - 7.00
  • Cuttlebug - 7.50
  • Newer cuttlebug, Anna Griffin - 7.75

  • When you cut the folders they come out with score marks. I hand fold mine anyway to save time but always flatten the fold with a bone folder. Use your embossing machine - I am using my Anna Griffin cuttlebug and the eBosser - to emboss the front of the folder only. Be sure to write the names/set with a sharpie somewhere on the folder as well as label the cardstock folder. When the set has a name but the individual folders do not, I called it "set name (1 of 4)." All my folders have the name of it written on the front with a sharpie. Here's a look at a completed folder.







    Next, I sorted the folders into the 4-section organization system I learned from Tiffany Spaulding at The Scrap Rack.  Her free organization seminars run year round. It's the best hour I spent each week learning to get more use out of all these supplies I hoard. First step is admitting you have a problem (my hand is raised LOL!) The folders live in 2 photo storage boxes that are shoe box size. I am working on typing in the labels (return address labels) to include the folder name, code for the manufacturer and the section it belongs in.  For example, here's one of my labels:

    Honeycomb (TH)(Backgrounds)

    The folder name is honeycomb by Tim Holtz (TH) and it is supposed to be stored in Backgrounds. I am not yet done with all my folder making or labelling but it's a work in progress.

    Hope this helped you get more organized!

    If you'd like to see where I started and the things I learned along the way, check out:









    La-Vie

    10 comments:

    1. Really cool ideas, I have mine in a plastic boxes I purchased from Stampn' Up! and then I store those in some boxes my friend gave me. They have little doggie faces on them. I think she got them from the container store. My other friend showed me some boxes she purchased at the $1.50 and up store in federal way. But I'm set. BL

      ReplyDelete
    2. How flippin awesome is this!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Stephanie B's Creative Designs here. OK, now you've got me thinking.. I have the several 8" x 11" folders and then a bunch of smaller folders. I was thinking along your idea. Hmmmm , now to figure something out! BL

      ReplyDelete
    4. Great Idea!!!! TFS
      Miranda :) BL

      ReplyDelete
    5. great idea on folders but I just have them in ONE bin and just sort to see what i like to use plus i don't have that many, lol from BL group E catching up

      ReplyDelete
    6. Love it! And love all your ideas! Us hoarders need organization! So, thank you! LOL

      ReplyDelete
    7. I think I only have 6 or 7 folders right now, but I will certainly keep this is mind for when I purchase more.
      Lyne - BL
      For scrapbook inspiration follow me at Lynn’s Everyday Ideas

      ReplyDelete
    8. How do you emboss just the cover for the 5x7 sleeves?

      ReplyDelete
    9. Oh thank you for the organization help.

      ReplyDelete

    Your comments bring me SO much Joy! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and view my creations. If you love what you see, please share my posts and invite your friends to follow me as well! ~XXX La-Vie B.