Thursday, June 14, 2012

Crafting Storage: My RicRacRoller is HERE!!

Have you heard? There's an awesome product on the market called the RicRacRoller that houses all your ribbon spools for easy access while crafting. I am so excited I can barely type!!! I ordered it from etsy at http://www.etsy.com/shop/ricracrollers?ref=pr_shop_more after seeing the ad in the May/June issue of Scrapbooks ETC magazine. I immediately called the number and had a lengthy chat with the creator of this wonderful contraption.

Needless to say I bought the carry caddy that same day. I chose that one because I thought did I have enough ribbon to fill the large one. Soooo I was wrong. I still have a drawer of ribbon that needs to be categorized but it's OK. The one I got is pink and it's portable and I love it!! As I use my ribbon I will add more as space becomes available.

This is what it looks like right out of the box. (Except I removed one of the dowels to show you how that works). It has a retractable ring that has scissors and a glue stick tool that helps remove the dowels. And a little gift of ribbon. Thank you very much!!



It was so easy to pop out the dowels one by one and load two drawers of ribbon onto this baby!! It spins around slowly like a lazy susan so that I can see all my ribbon. The creator told me to use glue dots to secure the end of my ribbon so it won't flop around. It worked like a charm! I was also able to store the smallest spools to the largest ones I own. Amazing!!!




Then the dilemma arose. I had one dowel left but all the remaining ribbon I have is unspooled in baggies to save on storage space. So I googled home made ribbon spools and found a lovely southern belle Chan4Crafts who explained in detail how she makes her own with empty toilet paper rolls. Check it out at http://youtu.be/L_zqfRuDQJs I was like wow! It made the lightbulb go off in my head. I used a paper towel roll covered it with scrapbook paper and a little more than half a toilet paper roll and it covered the whole dowel. I then wrapped ribbon side by side down the length of the roll. The ribbon is secured with regular tape to the roll and glue dots at the other end.



You cannot tell the difference, can you??? The toilet paper roll with ribbon is in the middle of the picture. I decided to take the largest spools off so I can house more of the small ribbon once I finish my next roll of paper towels (lol).


Here's a close up. I love the cupcake ribbon and the harlequin and the red striped one from Stampin' Up! I am going to be more functional now. I am so excited because I usually say... I know I have ribbon with x on it ... and then I can never find it. Now I am will be sure to use more ribbon in my projects. Can't want to take this to a crop!! The best part is I can unroll the ribbon without removing the dowels. So fun and functional.


Convinced? When you get one, let them know I sent you!!!

Wait...Tell me in the comments below, how do you store your ribbon??

Thanks for taking the time to read. I appreciate all my faithful followers.

La-Vie

5 comments:

  1. wow..C'est...glad I pass through this day and saw this..thanks for sharing..I am going to share..
    FYI..I am new to Blogging and setting up my blog..I just figured out after knocking my head for a fews weeks on how to show 'Follow by Email' it is now available on my blog..thanks for pushing me a little harder..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM
      Excellent! I'll subscribe by email soon. Let me know if you like something on my blog that you'd like on yours and I'll fill you in.

      La-Vie

      p.s. not sure you got this... so I thought I'd resend.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh!! Thank you so much for sharing this find with your readers La-Vie! I've been looking for a ribbon storage solution for so long. My current drawer overflowing to wicker baskets isn't working ;) I love this is portable...I was nervous about getting a wall-mount unit. You're right, the paper towel roll...you can't tell the difference! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Barb! You're welcome. In hindsight, I should've gotten the largest one. There is one bigger but it's not portable. I still have bags and bins of ribbon in addition. you never know how much you have until you try to organize!! The paper towel roll!!! Hope you try it!!

      La-Vie

      Delete

Your comments bring me SO much Joy! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and view my creations. If you love what you see, please share my posts and invite your friends to follow me as well! ~XXX La-Vie B.