Monday, May 27, 2013

Good Golly Glitter Challenge - Get Inky! Stamps


It's the dawn of a new crafty challenge over at the


This time we're looking for those glittery creations. To inspire you, I created a clear card using stamps from Sew Sweet Cupcake


I was really interested in trying out the whole clear card thing... I wanted to stamp, color with glitter and create a fabulous card. In the end, I did just that, but it took many tries to get it all pulled together. I almost pulled my hair out y'all!! But my frustration will help you avoid the pitfalls and reap all the benefits.

I started out with a clear card from Close to My Heart. It has a plastic coating that must be peeled off on the outside and the inside of the card. I attempted many times to stamp directly on the card front but it did not work. I think I need some re-inkers for my Stazon ink pads.

Determined to complete the project, I pulled out my 8 1/2 x 11" clear vinyl sheets from Stamp La Jolla (used for windows or shaker cards). It's 5 mil so it's thin and flexible. I stamped the cupcake on it and cut out a square around the cupcake to give myself some wiggle room.

Let the magic begin!! I covered the BACK of the cupcake top with Terrifically Tacky tape, then I fussy cut the vinyl with the tape attached for a clean  look. I am in love with my new fussy cut scissors by Elizabeth Crafts. I was able to get into all the tiny spots and to get under the tape in the areas at the lower end of the cupcake top. That was very important for making the two sections the right colors without overlapping.


I peeled off the red layer from the tape and applied Doodlebug Design Sugar Coating cupcake glitter (how fitting?!) in pink. I pressed my fingers into the glitter and rubbed pretty hard to burnish the glitter to the tape. Once it was set, I taped the bottom of the cupcake and glittered it in American Crafts Wow! Cricket (green). Using the Xyron I adhered the cupcake to the card front.

Both glitters are translucent. Perfect for highlighting the cardstock I chose from DCWV Nana's Kids stack. The cardstock is glittered and shiny as well. I cut two identical pieces and using Tombow Vellum mono adhesive I adhered them inside the front and back panels of the clear card with the design facing outwards.
rear view of the card
The finishing touches were added with a Get Inky! Stamps sentiment inside the card and a sheer bow made with ribbon from my stash (hand tied by moi!).



Good Golly Glitter!!! I hope you try this technique. Until next time... looking forward to seeing your creations in this challenge.

Challenges:
3 Girl Jam - #19 Anything Goes with Ribbon
Tsunami Rose Designs: Wednesday Challenge #21 - Cards

La-Vie

12 comments:

  1. your card is awesome. I don't have any clear cards but I am pretty sure somewhere in my stash I have a pack of vellum cards. I may look around for them. I have way too much glitter and stickles that I never use so maybe I will get them out too!

    Thanks for the inspiration LaVie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Paula!! Thank you for your kind comments. I'd love to see what you can do with vellum. I have been thinking about that medium as well. You just might see a vellum creation from me soon as well.

      And thank you for suggesting I turn off word verification. I didn't even know it was on. My FB friends helped me rectify the situation. It has been turned off.

      La-Vie

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous!! The glittery cupcake looks amazing!! I love the colors!! What a fabulous card!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog for the CDD Desert Blog Hop!! I'm happy to be a new follower :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa for your kind comments and for following me as well! Looking forward to seeing your crafts and sharing mine with you.

      La-Vie

      Delete
  3. The glittery cupcake is beautiful and so fun. Someone is going to love this. Thanks so much for joining the 3 Girl JAM "Anything Goes with Ribbon" challenge.

    Cheri - 3GJ Design Team
    www.djssundries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheri! Thanks so much for your kind comment. I'm loving the challenges at 3 Girl Jam!

      La-Vie

      Delete
  4. Hey, I've seen this card somewhere before! I'm so glad to see a fellow design sistah here at 3 Girl JAM challenges! So glad you linked up, La vie. And, as I've said at Get Inky, love that glittery cupcake.. Can't wait until our hop this weekend. 3 Girl JAM DT member, Julie O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie. Thia said we could enter the projects into contests but they must be seen on her blogs first, so I'm going for it. LOL. Thanks so much for your compliment. I'm SUPER excited for the Get Inky! hop this weekend. I'm working on my project for it tomorrow.

      La-Vie

      Delete
  5. Holy Craft Batman!!! This is great! Thanks for the tutorial on the steps taken to make this card! you have inspired me to try this out!!!! Great Job, and I am super excited that you decided to link up to the 3 Girl Jam challenge!!!
    loves-
    Scrappin Madge 3 Girl Jam DT
    www dot thescrappinlounge dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Madge for your cool and kind comment! I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Please remember to share. toddles...

      La-Vie

      Delete
  6. What a super fun card!! LOVE that cupcake!!!
    Thanks for sharing and linking this up over at the 3GJ Challenge Blog for our Anything Goes w/Ribbon Challenge!
    Hope to see you join in for our next challenge!!
    Jessica
    3GJ DT

    ReplyDelete

Your comments bring me SO much Joy! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and view my creations. If you love what you see, please share my posts and invite your friends to follow me as well! ~XXX La-Vie B.